Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Cheesy Breadcrumbs = A Kitchen Staple

I am in love with cheesy breadcrumbs. So much so, I needed to post about it because anyone who doesn't already make them needs to learn to IMMEDIATELY. Not to mention, they're the easiest thing in the world to make!

Adding grated cheese to breadcrumbs, whether they b
e homemade breadcrumbs, white, wheat, store bought, Italian, Plain, can DRASTICALLY deliver the most delicious of flavor compliments! I mean, c'mon, when DOESN'T cheese make things better???!?!

O ya! And are you ever left with a little bit
of grated cheese that you don't know what to do with? You've made you meal and used up what you needed, but are left with this useless amount of crumbs, enough to sprinkle on A/ONE taco or A/ONE plate of spaghetti? (Well I am as I frequently buy those bags of pre-shredded cheese in all varieties... Parmesan, mozzarella, Mexican 4-blend, cheddar, etc.) Instead of letting it go to waste, gather up all those forgotten and lonesome bags of cheese crumbs and put them to use! To make cheesy breadcrumbs, you can use any kind of cheese you like and if you have a little bit of several different types of cheeses leftover, then that's even better! I have mixed breadcrumbs with Parmesan, Mexican 4-blend, or mozzarella, but the best is when I put a handful of ALL of them in. You can tailor your cheese choice to whatever you're making (i.e. Chicken Parmesan goes great with Parm cheese in the breadcrumbs that you fry the chicken cutlets in....I like to do the multi-cheese blend with my pork chop cutlets, personally).

Okay so here's the deal...
Cheesy Breadcrumbs How-To

Y
ou will need:
1. 2-3 c. breadcrumbs (store bought or homemade..I'll try to post how to make some badical homemade breadcrumbs at a later date, b
ut for all intents and purposes, store-bought works and tastes just fine, especially after you add your cheese...but I digress)
2. +/- 1 c. grated cheese (you may use 1 kind or a combination of as many as you'd like! Some examples that work well for me are mentioned above.)
3. A food processor (a higher watt blender would probably work, although it may require a bit more patience on your part and require some intermittent stirring)
Instructions:
Layer the breadcrumbs and cheese into the food processor. (I typically put a layer of breadcrumbs, then a handful of cheese, a layer of breadcrumbs, then a handful of cheese, etc. However, when I forget to do this, putting the breadcrumbs in and the cheese on top seems to work just fine...it just requ
ires a few more pulses to get the cheese fully incorporated into the breadcrumbs.) Pulse the food processor 5-10 times at about 5-10 second intervals. You should barely be able to see the cheese when it is done and it should not be clumped in any way. After this is done, use as you normally would!
Here's my multi-cheese crumbs on my pork chop cutlets!:

No comments:

Post a Comment