Friday, February 5, 2010

How to make Baker's Sugar (on the cheap)

If you are a baker and have ever tried baking almost anything (with the exception of most cookies, I'd say)...but any sort of cake or dough or sugar base of any kid and used Baker's Sugar (aka Caster Sugar, Extra-Fine Sugar) it is hard not to want to use it every time...

Problem is C&H sells it in a dinky carton for way more than I think frickin' sugar is worth.

So if you bake a lot...or even if you don't and just want a sugar that easily dissolves in both hot and cold drinks alike read on:

How to make Bakers Sugar/Caster Sugar:
1. BUY A GOOD BLENDER (OR FOOD PROCESSOR)
This is imperative...being a cheapass myself, I have gone thru many a cheap ($16? if even) blenders. Until I realized that those blenders don't do shit and I could have used all the money spent on cheap ones to buy a good quality one. So that's what I did. I bought a 16 speed(?) Oster blender that came with a food processor attachment. But man does that blender have some blades!

2. In small batches (1 to 1-1/2 c.) in either your food processor or blender, pulse on high for 10-15 second intervals until sugar becomes fine. You may need to get a spatula and move the sugar around (WHILE THE MACHINE IS OFF) to get the already ground sugar to the top and the larger grains in touch with the blades.

3. Store in a tupperware, label, and enjoy!

2 comments: